Breast Implants and Safety
Dr. Javad Sajan and his team at Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery are dedicated to your safety, health, and wellbeing. Whether you come to us for breast augmentation with saline or silicone gel-filled implants, with every procedure, technique, or form of technology we use – from your first consultation until your last post-operative visit – our team maintains our focus on supporting and safeguarding your health every step of the way.
What are the differences between breast implants?
There are two kinds of breast implants approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in breast augmentation. At Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery, we follow their established patient eligibility guidelines for each type:
- Saline-Filled: According to the FDA, saline-filled breast implants “contain a silicone outer shell filled with a sterile saltwater solution.” Per the FDA, you must be 18-years-old or older to be eligible for saline-filled breast implants in breast augmentation.
- Silicone Gel-Filled: Silicone gel-filled implants also have a silicone shell, but it is filled with silicone gel instead. As per the FDA, you must be 22-years-old or older to be eligible for silicone gel-filled breast implants in breast augmentation.
How and why are breast implants safe?
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons reports that hundreds of thousands of patients undergo breast augmentation surgery with implants each year without experiencing complications. The FDA has approved breast implants for use in patients. Additionally, an FDA-required study found no compelling evidence to discontinue their use in informed patients.
Dr. Javad Sajan has performed breast augmentation surgeries on thousands of patients. Before any procedure he ensures you know:
- The kind of implant – saline-filled or silicone gel-filled – you will have
- The location of the implant and incision sites
- The size and shapes of the implants
- Any potential risks or future care needs
What are the risks of getting breast implants, and how can I avoid them?
At Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery, our priority is helping you look and feel your best. With any medical procedure, however, there can be risks. Below are a few ways you may be able to avoid some of the more common risks associated with breast implants:
- Additional Surgeries: The FDA estimates the average lifespan of breast implants is approximately ten years, although many last far longer. As in time, replacement implants will be needed, you can expect to undergo future surgery. By sharing information about your past surgeries, Dr. Sajan can make informed decisions to help mitigate scar tissue (also known as a complication called capsular contracture), incision size, implant placement, and more, to potentially prolong the time until that day arrives.
- Rupturing: Breast implants are structurally sound and are known to maintain their shape and form. As your doctor, Dr. Sajan errs on the side of caution and recommends you monitor against potential “silent ruptures.” If you have silicone gel-filled implants, Dr. Sajan recommends you get an MRI three years after your surgery; then, again every two years subsequently. Additionally, we offer a 10-year warranty against rupturing for saline-filled breast implants and a lifetime warranty for silicone gel-filled breast implants.
- Mammogram interference: You will need to tell your radiologist that you have breast implants so they can take what WebMD refers to as “additional, specialized views.”
Why should you choose Dr. Sajan for your breast augmentation surgery?
Dr. Sajan is known globally for his surgical expertise and his patient-focused care. At Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery, we are dedicated to ensuring that when you choose us for your breast augmentation surgery, you will have Seattle’s finest team working to ensure your safest, most optimal health outcomes. Contact us today to learn more.