Certain women who have had breast augmentation surgery are unhappy with the results. In other cases, the breast implants must be replaced due to leakage or other problems. For these problems, breast revision surgery is the answer. At Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery, we help women who are struggling with health and cosmetic issues related to an earlier breast surgery. Dr. Sajan has the experience and knowledge needed for these complex surgeries.
Various medical or aesthetic issues can arise after breast augmentation. A few of the most common reasons women want corrective breast surgery include:
- Capsular Contracture: This is a problem in which the tissue surrounding an implant shrinks, hardening around the implant in a way that looks and feels unnatural.
- Ruptured and Leaking Implants: Implants can rupture, particularly those that have been in place for a long period of time. As the saline or silicone leaks, the breasts become uneven in size, and one can be left looking deflated. The implants must be removed and replaced. One advantage to replacing ruptured implants is that the latest generation of implants are far more natural-looking and durable.
- Unnatural Looking Breasts: Some breast augmentation surgeries were simply unsuccessful, and have left the woman with breasts that look and feel unnatural.
- Replacing Implants for Health Reasons: Some women need to have breast implants replaced due to complications. Typically, older breast implants will last about ten to twenty years, and some even longer. The latest generation of implants are far superior to those placed in the past, and if you want yours replaced, we offer a full range of options in size and shape in both saline and silicone.
- Reducing or Increasing Implant Size: If your original augmentation was a disappointment, either too large or too small, we can perform corrective surgery to give you the breasts you originally envisioned.
- Symmastia: This is a condition in which the original surgeon made errors, leaving the breasts looking as if there is one large breast across the chest, sometimes called a “uniboob.” The implants have moved towards each other after surgery, whether due to a genetic issue or a surgeon who was too aggressive in the original procedure. This unsightly condition can be corrected with breast revision surgery.
- Double Breast: In some cases, the breast implant has drifted below where it was originally placed, creating a double breast appearance with the implant below, and natural tissue above.
- Ripples: Visible rippling, or visible ridges and wrinkles in the implant can show on the surface of your breasts. These ripples can appear on the sides, bottom, or between the breasts, but wherever they appear, they leave the person disappointed and embarrassed. Breast revision surgery can repair this condition and leave you with natural-looking breasts, free from ripples.
Am I a Candidate for Breast Revision Surgery?
If you are unhappy with the appearance, size, or shape of your breasts after an augmentation, and are in good general health, you are likely a good candidate for corrective surgery. This is a more complex procedure than the original surgery, and should only be performed by a skilled plastic surgeon with deep experience in performing corrective breast surgery. The first step is to speak with us at Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery in Seattle so we can evaluate your condition and what needs to be done in your case.
Changing the Type of Implant
Many women want to change the type of implant due to health concerns, or because the shape or size the implants does not please them. In recent years, breast implants have been greatly improved in shape and performance. If you want to change the type of implant and want a more natural look and feel, we can help.
Preparing for Breast Revision Surgery
In preparing for surgery, you, as the patient, have certain responsibilities. You will have to avoid taking any aspirin or anti-inflammatory medications or herbal remedies that could increase the risk of excess bleeding. If you smoke, you will need to quit for six weeks prior to surgery. Alcohol consumption should be minimal, with no more than three drinks per week. Prepare for your recovery by ensuring you have help for the first several days from a family member or friend. Ensure you have all you need in food, drink, and entertainment easily accessed. We will guide in all these issues after your surgery is scheduled and a full medical evaluation completed.
Breast Revision Surgery: What to Expect
This procedure will vary in length of time to complete, based upon your individual case. Arrive for surgery in comfortable clothes, including a front-opening top, and do not wear makeup, lotions, perfumes, etc. Typically, patients will be under general anesthetic during the procedure. After surgery, you will be bandaged or have a surgical bra to protect the area, with drainage tubes. After a period of recovery, when alert, you can return home, driven by a friend or family member – you cannot drive yourself.
What is a Capsulectomy?
For women whose original implants have resulted in capsular contracture, a capsulectomy will remove the capsules that have formed around the implants. The removal of the capsules is necessary in these cases, as the thickened pocket that has formed must be corrected as part of your procedure.
Recovery from Breast Revision Surgery
Recovery from corrective surgery is similar to what you experienced in your original surgery. You can and should be up and walking the day of the surgery. For the first few days, your activities will be limited, and you may feel tired, groggy, and weak. The body is working on healing, and it is important that you rest, but also move around – without putting any stress on the area by reaching, lifting, or other actions. You will be fully informed about after care by our team, and we will be checking on you to ensure all is going well. Sleep with your head and upper body elevated on pillows to reduce swelling. The bandages will be removed a few days after surgery. In most cases, a patient can return to work after about seven to ten days, but patients can vary in healing time.
Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery(206) 209-0988
Contact our Seattle location in Washington