Proper diet and exercise are important for maintaining a healthy weight, but they are not always enough to achieve a sleek, slim, well-proportioned body. Many people have deposits of stubborn excess fat in certain areas that do not respond to diet and exercise. At Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery in Kirkland, Dr. Javad Sajan performs liposuction procedures to remove stubborn fat and slim and sculpt the body.
What Areas Can Be Treated with Liposuction?
Liposuction is a versatile fat removal treatment that can target larger areas, such as the belly, or smaller areas, such as under the chin. Dr. Sajan uses advanced liposuction techniques to treat areas with stubborn fat, including:
- Upper back
- Under the chin
- Upper arms
Advanced Liposuction Techniques in Kirkland
Medical technology for liposuction has advanced significantly in recent years. Traditional liposuction is performed by making a small incision through which a thin metal tube (cannula) is inserted to manually detach and remove fat cells. In addition to traditional liposuction, Dr. Sajan performs a variety of cutting-edge liposuction procedures for his patients.
“Tumescent” means swelling or swollen. In a tumescent liposuction procedure, sterile saline solution containing lidocaine (a local anesthetic) is injected into the treatment area before fat removal is begun. The fluid causes the fat cells to swell, which makes them easier to remove. Lidocaine contained in the solution shrinks blood vessels to reduce risk and post-surgical swelling and increases the patient’s comfort during treatment.
VASER Liposuction uses high-frequency ultrasound energy to break up fat cells for removal. First, a solution containing local anesthetic is injected into the treatment area. Then ultrasound is used to gently loosen the fat cells and emulsify the fluid, after which a small cannula is used to remove fluid and fat cells from the body.
This liposuction technique has the added advantage of toning and tightening the skin while it removes excess fat. SmartLipo is laser-assisted liposuction. It is a safe, non-invasive procedure with minimal recovery that effectively reduces fat deposits in targeted areas.
Benefits of Liposuction in Kirkland
Liposuction is the second most popular cosmetic surgery in the nation, second only to breast augmentation, as reported by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). The number of liposuction procedures increased by 6% from 2015 to 2016, with 235,000 performed in 2016.
This treatment is popular for a number of reasons. Liposuction can:
- Reshape the body: Even patients with a healthy body weight may still have excess fat accumulated in the belly, hips, thighs, and other areas. Liposuction removes excess fat localized in particular areas to sculpt sleeker, slimmer lines and a more proportionate body.
- Reduce fat production: Liposuction removes fat cells from the body. Once removed, they can no longer store fat. For patients who maintain a proper diet and exercise routine, liposuction produces long-lasting body-shaping results.
- Stimulate collagen production: Collagen, the most abundant protein in the body, is what keeps the skin firm and free of wrinkles. As collagen production decreases with aging, the skin can become lax and lines and wrinkles begin to form. Laser-assisted liposuction (SmartLipo) not only removes unwanted fat but also stimulates collagen production in the body for firmer, smoother, younger-looking skin.
- Improve overall health: Studies have shown that liposuction treatment can reduce triglycerides in the blood. High levels of triglycerides can increase the risk of heart disease. Liposuction has been shown to significantly reduce triglyceride levels.
How Is Liposuction in Kirkland Performed?
Most liposuction procedures are performed on an outpatient basis. The type of anesthesia may depend on the type of liposuction being performed and the extent of fat removal. In some cases, smaller areas may be treated under local anesthesia, while larger treatment areas may require general anesthesia.
Liposuction is performed using a thin, stainless steel tube (cannula) with a suction device attached. The cannula is inserted through tiny incisions into the fat layer between the skin and the muscles. It is used to remove excess fat and create shapelier, smoother body contours.
When fat removal is complete, the incisions are closed with sutures and a compression bandage is applied to the treatment area. Incisions may be left open after tumescent liposuction to allow for fluid drainage out of the body.
What Is Recovery Like after Liposuction in Kirkland?
Most of our patients are able to return to work within a few days after a liposuction procedure and return to normal activities within approximately two weeks. However, recovery time may vary, depending on the extent and type of treatment.
Patients can expect some soreness and tenderness in the treated areas after liposuction, along with post-surgical bruising and swelling. Oral medications can help control discomfort. Bruising and swelling should begin to subside within a few days.
To reduce swelling and speed healing and recovery after liposuction, we recommend that patients:
- Stay hydrated – drink lots of water
- Eat a healthy diet low in sodium
- Rest often for the first two weeks after the procedure
- Gently massage the treated areas to improve circulation
What Is the Purpose of Compression Bandages and Garments During Liposuction Recovery?
Liposuction results are improved by compressing the skin after surgery. A compression bandage or garment allows the skin to readjust to new tissues and contours after excess fat has been removed. Wearing compression garments for several weeks after liposuction can provide smoother contours, help avoid loose skin, and decrease swelling for faster recovery.
Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction in Kirkland?
You may be a good candidate for liposuction if you have reached (or come close to) a healthy weight but still have fat deposits in certain areas that do not respond to exercise and diet. To find out if you are a good candidate for liposuction in Kirkland, schedule a consultation with Dr. Javad Sajan at Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery.