Many people come to Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery in Seattle to resolve aesthetic problems associated with the nipples or areolas. When the nipples are long, large, droopy, or puffy, a fast, minor surgical procedure can be performed to create a more pleasing, attractive look.
What is Nipple or Areola Reduction Surgery?
The surgery is performed on an outpatient basis at our discreet, luxurious Seattle plastic surgery clinic. The procedure requires only local anesthetic and takes about one hour to complete, whether you want a reduction in size of overlarge, stretched areolas or reduced nipple size, or both. This minor surgery can create a dramatic improvement in breast appearance. This procedure is appropriate for women (or men) who are unhappy with any of the following aesthetic issues:
- Large nipples
- Drooping nipples
- Large, dark, stretched areolas
- Areolas that have increased to an unattractive larger size after breastfeeding
- Puffy areolas
- Asymmetrical areolas
The nipple reduction procedure involves an incision in the nipple, and for areola reduction, the incisions are placed around the perimeter of the areola. Excess tissue is removed, and then the area carefully closed with tiny sutures. You will wear a surgical bra after the procedure to protect the area while it heals.
Recovery from Nipple Surgery
The recovery from the procedure requires about two weeks. Initially, you may experience some discomfort and will have prescription pain medication to keep you comfortable, which is typically not needed after just a few days. The healing process proceeds as follows:
- Any residual bruising is usually gone about two weeks after the procedure.
- Your breast area may feel numb for longer, a result of swelling, which may take about six weeks to resolve.
- The breasts may appear uneven during the initial stages of healing, which resolves.
- You may feel a tingling sensation in the nipple zone after surgery, which may require about six weeks to fully disappear.
- Sutures are removed about a week after the surgery.
- You will need to sleep on your back for the first week, and it is helpful to have your upper body elevated on a wedge or extra pillows.
- Nipple or areola surgery is minor, and most patients can return to work within a day or two after the procedure.
- It takes a few days for the anesthetic to leave your body, and you should not drive yourself for the first day or two.
- You can resume your exercise regimen in about two to three weeks – once you have our plastic surgeon’s okay for strenuous activity.
- Protect your breasts from exposure to the sun’s rays for a year after the procedure.
Nipple or Areola Reduction Surgery at Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery
Allure has gained the reputation as a leader in aesthetic plastic surgery, ranked as the #1 plastic surgeon in Seattle CityVoter. Dr. Javad Sajan is a leader and recognized authority in the field of plastic surgery, often called upon to educate other surgeons on advanced plastic surgery techniques. He focuses on using the least invasive surgical methods with the smallest incisions.
Dr. Sajan’s experience is extensive, with over 1,000 procedures performed throughout his illustrious career. His delicate, precise surgical techniques produce less trauma and lead to faster recovery. His eye for balance and beauty are critical points in the creation of more beautiful breasts.
Why do nipples and areolas stretch?
A range of physical changes can lead to your nipples and areolas looking less attractive due to stretching. These include:
- Loss of skin flexibility due to aging
- Weight gain
- Breast augmentation
Combination Procedures for Breast Enhancement
Some patients choose to undergo nipple and areola reduction as part of a more complete breast enhancement, including breast augmentation, a breast lift, or breast reduction. At Allure Plastic Surgery in Seattle, every patient has a carefully designed, customized surgical plan.
A Custom Surgical Plan to Create More Aesthetic Breasts
The first step is to speak with you, evaluate the condition of your breasts, and discuss what you hope to achieve. We are always open and honest about what to expect and can show you real-world images of our other patients who have undergone this procedure so you are completely confident in moving forward with the surgery.
Nipple and Areola Problems
Issues such as variations in color or large bumps on the areola can be resolved if this is an issue for you. The right sized nipple and areola can dramatically improve the appearance of your breasts, giving you a younger, more appealing look. Tired of feeling embarrassment about the appearance of your breasts? Reach out to us to schedule a private consultation.
Self-Confidence in Your Breasts – It Matters.
Our patients tell us that after the procedure they have greater confidence in their body image and feel great relief in being able to reveal their breasts without embarrassment or concern. Wide, enlarged nipples, raised or “domed” areolas, misshapen areolas, or abnormally-shaped nipples or areolas can all be resolved with a customized surgical procedure performed at our comfortable, discreet, elegant Seattle clinic.