Tattoo removal will reduce the amount of visible pigment left in your skin. Tattoos create minor scars that contain colored pigments, often deep in the skin, so that the image created lasts a lifetime. These tattoos can be removed with a series of custom laser treatments.
How it Works
There are several methods to remove an unwanted tattoo, with modern laser treatments more effective than ever, now able to remove more difficult colors more thoroughly. The best way to remove an unwanted tattoo is with a course of laser treatments to gradually fade the image from your skin. The laser works by attacking the pigment in the skin, which is then flushed out of your body naturally. As the area heals, the tattoo fades. With a series of laser treatments, the tattoo gradually vanishes and becomes almost invisible.
When you get a tattoo, black or colored pigments are placed deep within your skin. The pigment particles in tattoo ink are too large to be broken down and flushed from the body, resulting in an image that remains on your skin for the long term. Tattoo removal works by:
- Targeting the pigments with a laser that uses specific wavelengths to break down various tattoo inks.
- The laser pulses intense beams to penetrate the skin and break up the large pigment particles.
- The pigment particles can be shed naturally by your body.
- Over several treatments, more and more of the pigment is broken down, and the image gradually fades.
What kind of laser is used for laser tattoo removal?
Our clinic uses state-of-the-art and proven technology for our laser tattoo removal. The use of the Q-switched laser has almost zero chance of scarring and is a comfortable treatment with no real downtime. The laser emits high energy bursts that last a fraction of a second but are powerful enough to break up the metals and other particles in ink into smaller sizes that your immune system can then flush out of your skin. The laser utilizes certain wavelengths that target the specific colors in your tattoo. These colors are created by the different metals that in tattoo inks. Once they are broken down, they are shed by your body.
Why is the Q-Switched laser the best system for tattoo removal?
At Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery, we are committed to providing our patients with the most advanced technology and superior outcomes in tattoo removal. Our custom made Q-Switched laser is powerful, versatile, and effective. Many other laser systems were unable to treat harder-to-remove tattoo ink colors, such as blue, green, or substantial black sections of a tattoo.
The system is so effective that most pigments will have cleared or significantly lightened within two to three sessions. Many patients come to us for tattoo removal after attempting removal with another system that was unable to clear the skin of pigment. The treatment requires only about ten minutes per session, or slightly longer for larger areas of tattooed skin.
Benefits of Laser Tattoo Removal
- No scars
- Effectively fades and removes unwanted tattoo designs
- Short recovery time
- Minimal side effects or risk of complications
Who is a Good Candidate For Laser Tattoo Removal?
Anyone with a tattoo that they no longer want, for any reason, are candidates for laser tattoo removal. Certain skin conditions such as persistent infections may prevent the use of lasers as an appropriate treatment for tattoo removal.
Certain conditions make tattoo removal faster, requiring fewer treatments:
- Smaller tattoos
- Tattoos with black ink
- Lighter skin tones
- The older the tattoo, the easier it is to remove as your body has been working to remove the ink particles over time
Schedule a consultation at Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery to see if you are a candidate for laser tattoo removal.
After Tattoo Removal Treatment
There will be some care necessary after treatment to ensure that the treated area stays clean as it heals. You will need to care for the area as directed by Dr. Sajan. Apply ointment to provide an extra protective layer to aid in the healing process. A bandage will protect the area in the first stage of healing. There may be some minor discomfort that subsides over the following week as your skin heals. The skin should be allowed to recover for six to eight weeks before undergoing a second laser tattoo removal treatment.
What should I expect after treatment, and what are some helpful tips for recovery?
The treated area will start to look bumpy as gas is released below the skin. The tattoo may appear raised or feel irritated. There may also be some swelling or bruising around the treatment area, and there may be some redness and a burning sensation. Your skin should heal in two weeks. Subsequent treatments are usually scheduled every six to eight weeks until the tattoo pigment is entirely removed.
After treatment, the treated skin will have an antibiotic ointment applied and will be covered with a bandage. Fresh bandages and ointment should be applied regularly for a week after treatment. Other instructions for a successful treatment include:
- Avoid picking any scabs or touching the area as this could lead to scarring or infection
- Use cold compresses if you are experiencing swelling or heat in the area
- Do not go swimming or submerge the treated area until it has fully healed
- Do not shower directly after treatment
- Keep any direct water pressure off the treated area of your skin while showering
- Wear sunscreen with at least SPF 25 on the treated area for minimally three months
- Avoid any lotions or makeup for at least two days after treatment
Preparing For Laser Tattoo Removal
In preparation for a laser tattoo removal treatment, it is recommended that you:
- Shave the area directly before your session
- Clean the area thoroughly to remove any soap, cream, lotion, cosmetics or other residues
- Avoid direct sunlight on the tattooed area of your skin for a month before treatment
- Avoid any chemical treatments or chemical products on the skin of the treatment area for minimally two weeks before your treatment session
- Wear loose-fitting clothing over the treatment area
The Cost of Laser Tattoo Removal
The cost has several factors that need to consider, including:
- The overall size of the tattoo
- The number of treatments necessary to remove the tattoo
- The depth of the tattoo ink in your skin, as deeper ink may require more treatments
- More recently applied tattoos may require more treatments
- The type and color of ink used
- The strength of your immune system and your overall health
To get an estimate for your tattoo removal, check out our price list for more particular pricing information or schedule a consultation at Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery. Dr. Sajan will advise you about how many treatments you may need to clear your skin of all tattoo ink.
Laser Tattoo Removal FAQ's
Is it Safe?
Laser tattoo removal has been available for decades and is a proven method of tattoo removal. Our advanced laser emits brief pulses of intense energy that leaves the surrounding skin undamaged while the pigment particles are broken down. The treatment itself does not result in scarring if performed correctly by a technician who has achieved certification. Laser treatments should always be performed by a professional, as the energy emitted can cause damage if misused. You can ensure proper treatment by undergoing tattoo removal under the care of the certified professionals at Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery.
Is the Treatment Painful?
Laser tattoo removal may cause some discomfort. People with more sensitive skin may have topical or local anesthesia applied to the area before treatment make the procedure comfortable. Most patients describe a slight burning sensation in the treatment area, but our method and advanced laser system are not difficult to experience.
Will the Tattoo be Completely Removed?
Tattoos removal varies from person to person, and some colors are more difficult to remove than others. Black and dark green are the easier to remove, while yellow, purple, turquoise and fluorescent dyes may require more treatments. Generally, it takes require several laser treatments to satisfactorily remove a tattoo. You can anticipate about six to ten treatments to remove a larger, multi-colored tattoo, although a more accurate estimate can be given to you by Dr. Sajan in your consultation.
Choosing Allure Esthetic Plastic Surgery
Allure Esthetic represents high quality care and service and their dedicated team are happy to help you finally remove an unwanted tattoo, on any location on your body. Dr. Sajan is experienced and knowledgeable in all areas of cosmetic enhancement and offers custom laser tattoo removal to rid your skin of an unwanted tattoo that you no longer love. Contact us today and schedule a consultation for arguably the best tattoo removal Seattle has to offer.